The lubricant is generally used to reduce friction between surfaces. Based on the purpose of use and applicability, these lubricants are of different types. Some the name of lubricants is Oil, Grease, penetrating lubricants, dry lubricants, etc.
In the market a lot of Lubricant oil manufacturers are available. They are manufacturing lubricants of a wide range. Let us discuss some lubricants with its use area.
It is a long polymer chain in the form of liquid. It comes in different weight like 5w,10w, etc. The low values represent that oil is thinner and thinner the oil the more easily it will flow.
Types: Motor oil, 3-in-1 oil, Machine oil, etc.
Uses: tool maintenance, sharpening blades
• To lubricate something without the resistance.
• Without making anything apart, lubrication to wick into a small space,
• Don’t use on such surface, which is exposed to dust or dirt, otherwise, dust will stick with the surface and causing more friction.
• Surfaces should be clean,
• The surfaces should not be exposed to water or anything that can wash the oil away.
Greases are made by blending thickeners with mineral oil. It may also include graphite, molybdenum disulfide PTFE. Besides the lubricating properties of oil, it has stickiness property too. Due to stickiness, it adheres the surface better. It also protects the surfaces from corrosion. But one of the major demerits of grease is that it may cause resistance between the surface.
Types: silicone grease, white lithium grease, Heavy-duty grease, and marine grease.
• Applied with the objective that lubrication can stay for a long time on the surface.
• Another objective is to seal out contaminants such as water or dust
• Don’t apply it in a fast-moving machine as it may create resistance.
• It makes the surface dirty where it is applied.
3. Penetrating Lubricants
These are the low viscosity oil specially used to loosen the years of rust by infiltrating the tiny cracks of surfaces. They are not designed for long lasting. These are very useful to the mechanic to deal with old and rusted bolt etc.
4. Dry Lubricants
These lubricants are prepared by lubricating particles such as graphite, molybdenum disulphide, silicone, or PTFE. These substances are super slippery, so they reduce the friction between surfaces. It is generally found in the spray form mixed with alcohol or such other solvent that will evaporate away after application.
Types: Graphite powder or spray, molybdenum disulphide spray, (dry) silicone spray, PTFE spray
Uses: 3D printer rails, threaded rods, locks, hinges
5. Powdered graphite
• For such tiny parts where grease or oil cannot be applied.
• Clean surfaces area.
• Where surfaces are exposed to extremely high heat or pressure,
• Where surfaces are exposed to solvents or other liquids that can wash them away. In such circumstances, it is not advisable to use this lubricant.
In lubricant manufacturing, Growel is one of the renowned company. A wide range of lubricants is available on their website.