Overall, the most typical utilization of a lubricant is to decrease interference among the two surfaces, but remember every lubricant has some differences. Here given are the common lubricants and their uses:
Greases are composed by utilizing oil (typically mineral oil) and combining it with thickeners (such as lithium-based soaps). Additional particles may be combined with lubricants such as molybdenum disulfide, graphite, etc.Greases have the ability to mix well with the oil’s lubricants which add stickiness and allow the lubricants to get collected to the surfaces. Greases are also worked as a barrier or protect the surfaces from can even act as a barrier, protecting the surfaces from all those contaminants that have the ability to damage the surface. For example; several greases and oils, all came in a range of consistencies. Grease has its downside due to extreme thickness and sticky nature, which can easily cause resistance, is fast running devices.
- It is used in chains, linkages, bearings, and gears.
- Came with several types such as marine grease, white lithium grease, or silicone grease. Lubricant oil manufacturers use these oils in cars or heavy commercial vehicles.
These thin liquids are composed of long polymer chains with some extra additives. Such as antioxidants which keep the oil away from oxidizing, and some corrosion inhibitor that is responsible to stop the corrosion and also some detergents that inhibit the formation of deposits. Between the surfaces of the long chains, they are quite hard to squeeze out, but with the application of oil, you can create a slippery barrier between them. Oils have different weights according to their viscosities. Lower numbers suggest the easy flow.
- It is used in the bearings, hinges, sharpening of the blades and in the tool maintenance.
- Basically, oil is used when you want to lubricate anything without the use of grease.
- If you require the lubrication to which the small elements are without disturbing anything else.
If you are a shade-tree mechanical then you would understand why these lubricants deserve the distinctive section. These types of lubricants are the protectors of numerous stuck- bolt combatants. On the other hand, these covered elements, penetrating lubricants are not built for long-lasting lubrication. Rather just because of their low viscosity, these oils are specially developed for only one specific purpose which is to infiltrate the small cracks over the surfaces, to increase lubrication and to split up the rust. There are varieties present in the penetrating oils, but you must know how you can make low cost penetrating oils.
In the dry lubricants, specific types of lubricants are present such as silicon, molybdenum, graphite, PTFE. These particles have very slippery nature at their molecular level which also reduces the friction between these surfaces. They also come in spray forms, where they mixed with the alcohol, water or other volatile solvents which get evaporated after the application
- They are used in the threaded rods, locks, printer rails, and in the hinges.
- They come in various types such as graphite powder or in the form of a spray, silicone spray, or molybdenum disulfide spray.
- When you want to keep the surrounding surfaces clean.
- If your surface is displayed to remarkably high heat or to the high pressure, which is able to oxidize the oils.